Leather Doctor® Kit-S3.ws, suede water-stain removal kit is design for water damage restoration. Most often, water damages from alkaline contamination manifest as stiffness and ring marks when dry. Suede is an amphoteric protein fiber and alkalinity influence shifts the protein fiber from ionic positive (+ve) to negative (-ve), thus losses the attraction between the ionic negative (-ve) non-amphoteric leather constituents like the tanning agent, dyestuff and the fatliquor. These entire ionic negative (-ve) leather constituents break hydrogen bond with the contaminated negative (-ve) protein fiber and move to form a ring edge. As the fiber is empty of fat and oil it becomes stick together when dry again. Restoration involves removing of surface soiling, recharging the protein fiber ionic positive (+ve), relaxing stiffness by penetrating and separating the stick together fibers, redistributing and even out the leather constituents from the rings and surrounding areas, and replenishing leach out fat and oil for suppleness and strength. The finishing includes nap exfoliation to a silky finger writing effect. The sequences of process includes the surface residue is brush with a brass suede Brush-3 and erase with suede Eraser-5. Cleaner-3.8 cleans and Acidifier-2.0 rinses with recharging the protein suede fiber ionic positive (+ve). Hydrator-3.3 works multi functionally when hydrating level and dwell time is fully optimize to work out stiffness, redistributing of the fugitive leather constituents and purging out foreign contamination. Fatliquor-5.0 rejuvenates and imparts leather with softness and suppleness when dry. Protector-S+ imparts non-stick surface to shield against sticky soiling and enhances the finger writing nap with a silky feel. Note: The mentioned product suffix number denotes its pH value in this holistic approach to suede water-damage restoration. The iso-electric point (pI) of suede averages pH 4, water averages pH 7. Between pH 7 and pH 4 there is an ionic difference of 1000 (one thousand) times. Foreign pH influences below the pI charges the protein fiber ionic positive while above the pI causes the protein fiber to shift ionic negative. The ionic leather constituents and the protein fibers behave like magnets, like poles repels and denaturing suede to rawhide. Cleaner-3.8 is replace with Degreaser-2.2 for degreasing as in Kit S5.dr. For fine lamb and kid suede, treat it as nubuck (Kit N3.ws) using nubuck Brush-2 / Eraser-4 instead.
Dry soil removal:
Note: Use the suede Brush-3 at a slant angle to avoid scratches on fine suede, otherwise use nubuck Brush-2 and Eraser-4 as found in Kit N3.ws
1. Remove surface soiling with suede Brush-3 and exfliolate nap with Eraser-5.
1. Clean with Cleaner-3.8 using suede Brush-3 and/or Eraser-5 and towel extract until it shows clean.
Rinsing and pH Balancing:
1. Apply Acidifier-2.0 saturating the entire surface for an even appearance, towel extract and allow natural dry.
2. Erase wick-up residue with Eraser-5 prior to hydrating.
1. Apply Hydrator-3.3, saturating the thickness of the suede to an optimum level with moisture oozing out when gently pressed between fingers and thumb.
2. Cling wrapped it for up to 72 hours dwell time with regular top up for redistributing the leather constituent.
3. Removes cling-wrapper and allow natural drying for foreign contamination to wick out.
4. Erase with Eraser-5 when crispy dry.
5. Inspect for satisfaction either repeat or proceed with fat and oil replenishing.
Fat and Oil Replenishing:
1. Apply Fatliquor-5.0 and redistribute with foam brush until saturation.
2. Repeat application each time water contents evaporate until fully saturated.
3. Allow natural drying for extra softness.
4. Erase wick-up residue with Eraser-5 prior to protection.
Non-stick, Rub-Resistant Protection:
1. Shake well, mist spray Protector-S+ evenly and brush-in, when dry brush re-nap for a finger writing effect.